Thursday, June 23, 2011

Great Expectations

I've been thinking lately that when I feel disappointed, angry or upset about something, that it's really because something didn't meet my expectations. And while there may be good reason sometimes for me to actually have those expectations, it is the clinging to them that causes the suffering.

This works with the aesthetics of my hobbies (being disappointed in a particular artist's album); watching the media, pundits and politicians debate with sophistry and casuistry (which I try to avoid these days); or having disagreements and conflicts with friends, family and co-workers (somebody does something I don't agree with, whether it is merely an inconvenience or some sort of perceived moral failing).

Is it helpful to establish blame and wield anger and resentment as sword and shield? Or should we accept that sometimes things do not live up to our expectations of them and simply work towards a solution and/or move on?

Pip got his heart broken, Estella was cruel and unhappy, and Miss Havisham went up in flames in her mouldering wedding dress. Maybe sometimes expectations shouldn't be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment